History of Edith Macy Conference Center

macy_banner

Girl Scouts of the USA’s ‘University in the Woods’

Edith Macy Conference Center has served as a unique facility dedicated to educational opportunities since 1926. Macy, as it’s commonly known, has always functioned as a learning center for Girl Scout volunteers and staff members, and it is also open to both nonprofits and for-profits for training events. It features six corporate conference rooms, a 200-seat auditorium, and attractive lodges, all surrounded by 400 wooded acres in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.—just 45 minutes from New York City.

This “university in the woods,” as it was called in its early days, is the site of many workshops and conferences sponsored by Girl Scouts of the USA. Participants in these Macy courses return to their Girl Scout councils with new skills and knowledge and a renewed commitment to their work. Macy is an ideal setting for events large or small. The conference center has facilities for groups of up to 200 people. The nearby John J. Creedon Education Center is perfect for smaller and more confidential gatherings. Macy accommodations, including 46 guest rooms, are located throughout the property. With these features and more, Macy offers all the ingredients for a productive meeting.

Furnishings and amenities reflect the professional atmosphere. Guest rooms equipped with charging station, free wireless Internet, and private baths to accommodate personal needs so event participants can focus on coursework. Barrier-free walkways conveniently connect the resident buildings to the conference center, which is managed by Benchmark Hospitality.

Guests will also find a fitness equipment, a jogging trail around Lake Kinderaugen, and miles of scenic wooded hiking grounds.

John J. Creedon Education Center

Adjacent to Macy, John J. Creedon Education Center, with its five buildings, has meeting space, and sleeping quarters. As part of the Macy complex, Creedon is the locale for smaller, less formal workshops and for Senior Girl Scout leadership institutes. Sessions are conducted at the Central Gathering Place, a self-contained training, meeting and dining facility.

Camp Andree Clark

Located across the road from Macy, Camp Andree Clark has served a variety of purposes since it opened in 1921. In its early days, it was a national camp for girls. Today, Macy course participants hike and jog on the site, and traveling troops (with their local Girl Scout council’s approval) frequently use a renovated, winterized cabin there. Girl Scouts acquired the land for the camp in 1920, when former Senator and Mrs. William A. Clark donated the site in memory of their daughter, Andree, who had been an enthusiastic member of the organization until her death at age 16.

Contact Us

To get more details or arrange a trip to Macy:

Phone: (914) 945-8000
Phone from New York City area: (800) 442-MACY [(800) 442-6229]