Troop 40072′s First Meeting
My troop met for the first time yesterday. Troop 40072 consists of 13 girls, from Kindergarten through 5th grade, Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors.
- They were so excited to be Girl Scouts!
- We learned the Girl Scout Promise, handshake, sign, and quiet sign — they caught on so quickly.
- They shared what they wanted out of their Girl Scout experience: arts and crafts, trips, exploring outdoors, camping, and helping children in Africa to name just a few.
- We voted on sashes — instead of vests — for our troop.
- As a short Discover activity, the girls wrote and shared about things that make them happy and things that make them sad.
- They liked the Friendship Circle.
- We had a bigger group than I expected and the person who was going to assist couldn’t make it.
- We needed a bigger room.
- The Daisies needed more help. When I went to help them, the Juniors seemed to get bored, walking around the room.
- I didn’t leave enough time for clean-up!
- My younger daughter didn’t think she squeezed the hand of the person next to her, yet the Friendship Circle continued to go, resulting in tears in the car on the way home. Total meltdown.
- They kept eating snacks the whole time and I only scheduled five minutes for it. They were really hungry right after school!
- Then, there were lots of Clementine peels to clean up and not enough time to do so (see clean up note above).
- Get someone to help! For certain!
- Allow more time for snacks.
- Allow more time for clean up.
- Split up group into age groups with an adult for each.
- Find a bigger room.
Tell Me: How was your first troop meeting? Do you have meeting tips to share?